Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Monday 6 June 2011

MTV Movie Awards - who the hell votes for these things?

The MTV Movie Awards were held last night and all I can say is "who the hell votes for these things?"  Okay the choice of nominees is relatively narrow to begin with but I just can't agree with 90% of the results.  Here is a link to the website for all the nominees, results and "goss" - http://www.mtv.com/ontv/movieawards/2011/

So basically Twilight won almost everything and definitely won all of the categories it was nominated in.  I don't know why I'm surprised by this but I am in a small way.  MTV used to be cool but that was way back in the day.  What happened?  It now clearly caters for teeny boppers and people obsessed with celebrity culture - I haven't had Foxtel for quite a while but I have noticed that MTV spends way more time on "reality" shows than music these days.  At what point do they change the name?

Anyhoo, the only awards I agree with are "Best Badass" and "Best Breakout Star" going to Chloe Grace Moretz for playing Hit Girl in Kick Ass.  It is impossible to think that she didn't win "Best Fight" but of course Twilight had to win that even though that fight was fairly average.  Christoph Waltz was unlucky to miss out on "Best Villain" from Kick Ass too (Tom Felton was barely in Harry Potter 7!).  Ryan Reynolds is obviously too old to win the vote for "Best Scared as Shit Performance" for Buried, but I think he deserved it - did any of the other nominees have to act scared for the WHOLE movie?  I have actually seen all 5 films nominated for "Best Movie" and I can say that Twilight Eclipse is the worst of the bunch, even though I enjoyed the books, liked the movie and thought it was a vast improvement on New Moon.  I can't even pick between Inception or Social Network.  Actually I feel sorry for The Social Network - overlooked at the Oscars after a late run by The King's Speech and Black Swan, and beaten out at MTV by Twilight.  You would've thought the MTV voting audience would appreciate a film about Facebook a little more than they have (it won none of its categories)! However it was a fantastic movie and I think should've won "Best Line" for "If you guys were the inventors of Facebook, you'd have invented Facebook".

The only good to come out of the awards was probably Reese Witherspoon's speech accepting her "Generation" award.  Her commentary/advice on sex tapes and reality shows will probably fall on deaf ears though.

Who are these MTV/Twihard type people?  Why can they not acknowledge that the Twilight movies are okay but really not great and certainly not deserving of the awards compared to the other nominees?  Why do they find it acceptable to send public death threats to Justin Bieber's new girlfriend just for the offence of being Justin Bieber's girlfriend instead of them?  What can be done to teach these kids about real reality and acceptable codes of behaviour?

No comments:

Post a Comment