Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Thursday 17 November 2011

New movies - Alternatives to Twilight

Well my prediction from last week that Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1 would rampage across all the screens and kick out most movies did not quite come true, but it is certainly dominating.  However, there are a number of alternatives with Moneyball, Contagion, I Don't Know How She Does It, The Debt, In Time, Drive and Paranormal Activity 3 still have a lot of sessions.  New movie choices include We Need to Talk about Kevin (family drama starring Tilda Swinton as a mother whose relationship with her son has broken down) and The Burning Man (Aussie production about a British chef living and working in Sydney and his troubled past and relationships with various women). 

Lots of docos out this week too.  The Tall Man is a documentary on the Cameron Doomadgee death in custody case from Palm Island a few years ago.  Tabloid is showing at Dendy exclusively, which is a documentary about a fomer Miss Wyoming who became obsessed with a Mormon missionary and was charged with abduction and imprisonment.  She was apparently a very weird individual.  I'm not doing it justice I'm sure, maybe research it a bit if you might be interested - the director Errol Morris is well known for entertaining documentaries apparently.  This is Not a Film is an Iranian documentary about a filmmaker banned by his Government from making movies because of his criticism of the state, this doco follows his time imprisoned in his own home (this movie's footage was smuggled out of Iran in a cake so it could be released!).  This is showing at Dendy too but it may just be previews, there might be more sessions next week.  Would be quite fascinating.  There is also The First Grader, which I'm unsure if it is actually a documentary or a drama based on a true story, of an 84 year old Kenyan man who decides to go to school to learn to read and write.  What makes this worthy of a film is the fact that he used to be a freedom fighter and went through the Mau Mau uprising, and this causes controversy when the media and public learn he is mixing with primar school children.

And finally, Submarine is back on our screens at the Schonell Theatre at UQ.  I might get to see it this time!

So there are plenty of choices if you know what else is out there, you don't have to sit through Bella marrying Edward, going on honeymoon, having apparently M rated sex, getting pregnant and sulking through the difficult pregnancy.  There you go, I've summarised the whole movie for you right there.  All the action happens in the second half of the book, which some bozo decided would be a second movie rather than just filming the book as one movie.  Actually I probably should be thanking them, as now I get to skip the boring bits and just go see the second film for the more interesting ending.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm so many choices, I think I'll save the cash and watch embarrassing bodies.

    ReplyDelete