Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Friday 11 May 2012

Movie #12 - The Avengers

And the geeks shall inherit the Earth! The Avengers has broken the record for highest ever box office opening weekend in the US, taking $207 million in the first 3 days.  The total box office worldwide has already exceeded $700 million, putting the movie at #44 on the highest ever box office list after only two weeks.  Where will it end up by the time it closes?  Could it rival Avatar and Titanic as the two highest grossing films ever?  I think yes, it definitely could, despite being a "comic book movie".  It's so much fun, and it has the advantage of 3D boosting the receipts.

This actually won't be a really long review.  The plot goes that Loki comes to Earth to steal the Tesseract so he can open a portal to another world where an army awaits to enslave us Earth people.  The head of S.H.I.E.L.D feels the only option is to assemble a team of superheroes to save the Earth.  Major crash and bash follows, occasionally within the team as well as against Loki and his quite fearsome army.  I'd say that you really should have seen Thor before seeing this movie (introduces Thor and Loki) whereas seeing Captain America and Iron Man 1 & 2 would be recommended but not essential.

I loved this movie and I don't want to analyse it too much, as I just really enjoyed it the whole entire time it was on and I couldn't pick a fault with it.  There was some major superhero smackdown, with some fights involved that any self-respecting comic book fan would have dreamed about ending very satisfactorily.  There are no weak links in this awesome team, but Mark Ruffalo's Hulk is especially good - maybe they've finally nailed the Hulk on screen? There are some really funny bits, mainly courtesy of Robert Downey Jr's ongoing rock star approach to Tony Stark.  The 3D is not overkilled at all so don't avoid it if you usually don't like it, and all of the effects are totally top-notch, probably the best I've seen.  I'm so glad that this is a great movie and maybe it can shake off the "comic book" tag once and for all.  Director Joss Whedon (Buffy, Firefly etc) has done a fantastic job at injecting real humanity into the characters and not doing any cheesy dialogue.

Five out of five stars for this - or should I give it a six for six kickass superheroes?

No comments:

Post a Comment