Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Tuesday 1 January 2013

Movie #30 - Wreck-It Ralph!

"Wreck-It Ralph" is a new movie from Disney who have surprisingly taken this long to try to leverage video games into the movies.  It follows Ralph, who is the big bad guy that destroys everything in an arcade game similar to Donkey Kong.  Fix-it Felix is his nemesis, the shiny hero who fixes everything he breaks and gets all the kudos from the apartment dwellers in the game.  But Ralph is sick of being the bad guy, lonely and unloved and living in the garbage dump.  He longs to be a hero, accepting medals and having friends.  Even his bad-guy support group (a fantastic play on AA and one of the best scenes that was sadly given away in a lot of the trailers) can't shake his feelings and Ralph decides to 'go turbo' and find another arcade game where he can be a hero.  This leads him into a series of adventures through other games, mainly the first-person shooter 'Hero's Duty' and Mario Kart style 'Sugar Rush', as Ralph tries to figure out his true place in the world.

The graphics are pretty amazing in this, and I didn't even see the 3D version (planning to).  The concept is extremely well thought out - what happens inside the video games when the arcade is closed and we're not looking - and provides so many jokes and nostalgic feelings for gamers.  I think non-gamers would still get a lot of enjoyment from the storyline though, which has a lot of heart.  The movie was directed by Rich Moore, who has never made a movie before but has helmed some pretty popular episodes of the Simpsons and Futurama, so you know you're in good hands.  The voices of John C Reilly (Stepbrothers, Talladega Nights) as Ralph and Sarah Silverman as lil racer Vanellope are perfect for their roles, as are most of the other main characters as well.  I was watching 30 Rock the other night and sadly now when I see Jack McBrayer (Kenneth the page) I am just thinking of Fix-it Felix instead.

Any adults in their 20s, 30s or 40s who have wasted away time in a video arcade or playing the early 8-bit games will definitely find a lot to love in "Wreck-It Ralph", as will older kids who will love the graphics and bright colours.  Young kids might be a little bored, as a lot of the jokes and action will sail straight over their heads.  I took my 5 year old nephew to see this, he's already a Nintendo kid who loves Mario and Sonic along with being obsessed with Angry Birds anything (hilariously he bought his dad Angry Birds pyjamas for Christmas this year).  He got a bit bored in places where there was more talk than action, and thought it was long, but he was good and didn't ask to leave.  He still said it was cool.  Not enough Sonic the Hedgehog!  A huge sugar rush and a good holiday film.

1 comment:

  1. Jackie and I saw it last weekend, very much the same thoughts! Good movie, plenty of laughs and nostalgia. Also the king is Alan Tudyk!

    ReplyDelete