Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Friday 27 December 2013

BIFF Movie #7 - A Touch of Sin

This is a difficult movie to review (especially now so long after attending BIFF) so I'll keep it short.  This movie is actually four short stories woven into one larger movie, with no real connection between them and even the underlying theme is barely felt.  The movie is set in modern day China and from the blurb read in the Film Festival guide it was trying to deal with a sense of alienation and the struggle of the underclass against pointless lives, erupting in random violence.  However, just because you feel annoyed at the repetitiveness of your work or bosses or the big company you work for, or your lover who won't leave their husband, or your inability to keep and hold a job, that doesn't excuse the violence portrayed here which are largely senseless murders.  The movie was too long, slow and could not keep up the drama which was set up quite well in the first story but drifts into nothingness as the film progresses.  I walked out feeling like it was a waste of a movie ticket as I got nothing out of the film at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment