Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Sunday 9 October 2011

#25 Movie: Crazy, Stupid Love

I've been thinking about the title of this movie and it is probably not the most appropriate title.  There aren't a lot of crazy stupid things done and the love represented in the movie is much closer to the everyday variety that many of us have experienced.  I guess "everyday love problems" isn't a very catchy title though.

I've heard a few people say they wouldn't go to this movie due to it starring Steve Carell.  While starring Steve Carell would be a draw for many people, not everyone likes his stuff.  But I would urge those avoiding the movie for that reason alone to give it a chance.  This is Steve Carell doing a light drama not a comedy.  There are quite a few laughs but they are on the gentle side and distributed amongst the whole cast.  Of which there are many.

This is the tangled web you have: Cal Weaver has been married to Emily for 25 years when she suddenly wants a divorce.  Emily has slept with David Lindhagen from her work, who didn't see it as just a one night stand.  Cal and Emily's son is in love with the babysitter Jessica.  Jessica has a crush on Cal.  Cal is sitting in a bar drowning his sorrows when he meets Jacob, a very successful ladies man who helps Cal to get his mojo back.  Jacob is getting plenty of ladies but not the one he wants, Hannah, who turned him down due to her relationship with boring lawyer Richard.

I enjoyed this movie but it's not something that is really deep and meaningful or going to stay with you for very long (perhaps with the exception of that scene where Ryan Gosling as Jacob takes his shirt off, that one could be very memorable and it seems all other ladies in the audience agreed).  It's funny, smart and depicts relationships in a realistic way - some work out and others don't.  It does have a good twist and no I didn't pick it in advance.  The performances are strong across the board although Analeigh Tipton as Jessica does betray her "America's Next Top Model" roots and Marisa Tomei perhaps turns the crazy up a little too far.  Actually she is probably the only thing in this movie that is truly crazy.   3 out of 5 for this one.

P.S. Thanks Mama for the Gold Class ticket and good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment