Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Sunday 23 October 2011

#27 Movie - TT3D (crazy motorcycle riders)

This is a really hard post for me to write. The movie that I went to see today has been shockingly underscored tonight by the passing of Marco Simoncelli, a talented rider in the MotoGP who died of his injuries in a crash on lap 2 of today's race in Malaysia.  This is unbelievably sad for those of us who follow the MotoGP motorcycle racing, especially when you've watched for years and seen this young guy with so much talent rise through the ranks.  Despite winning the 250cc World Championship a few years ago, he was yet to win a race in the MotoGP category, which was his big dream. In fact there was a strong rumour that his wild and crazy curly hair was being grown and not going to be cut until he won a race.  He has had a podium, but no win, so that hair was getting bigger by the week.  He was not without controversy for his somewhat foolhardy passing tactics in previous years and early this season, and his refusal to admit the danger he posed to his fellow riders and himself at press conferences.  But he had tamed himself in recent races and was doing a lot of clean passes and he was a pretty likeable guy now that the controversy had died down.  Right now I'm feeling shocked, sad, disbelief that this could happen and disappointed we won't ever see what he was capable of achieving.

The thing that links this tragic event to the movie today is the theme of "he died doing something that he loved" and how many of us can say that?  But how many of us want to say that either?  I don't want to die at all, and while at least he never held back, there are plenty of things you can enjoy in life without the chance of dying.

TT3D is a documentary about what is often referred to as the world's most dangerous motorcycle race.  Held at the Isle of Man (part of the UK) each year, riders compete in 5 races over a week, culminating in one winning the final "senior race" which awards them the Tourist Trophy (hence the name TT although it's also a time trial form of racing rather than a "first past the line" style due to the danger).  The danger comes from the fact that the race is a street race, riding at extraoardinarily high speeds along normal streets lined with bus stops, shops, houses and spectators - no safety barriers, gravel traps or runoff roads.  This is gritty, dangerous stuff which really attracts the biggest nutters on the planet in my opinion.  The race has claimed the lives of over 200 riders since inception in 1906 but has probably injured hundreds or thousands of others.  And not only in the old days, as this documentary focusing on 2010's meet proves.

The documentary has been filmed in 3D which doesn't do much in the behind the scenes parts, but blows your mind with the on-track scenes.  I have never ridden a motorcycle and never will (especially now) but I know lots who do and I've gotta say, you are all incredibly crazy even if you never go as fast as these guys and girls.  This movie is a really good combo of giving you the history of the race itself, with a look at the rivalry between some current competitors in the race.  Biggest nutter I've ever seen award goes to Guy Martin, a British rider and mechanic who has attempted the race many times but not yet had a win (as of the date the movie was made anyway).  The movie mostly focuses on him and a few other riders mostly Brits.

What amazed me the most was the peek inside the minds of these people who live to ride in this really fast race, basically ignoring the fact that a fellow rider and sometimes friend has had an accident and passed away during the race.  I, in my happily boring existence, cannot fathom how your mind can work that way.  It seems to come down to something that is repeated often in the movie: the buzz.  There probably aren't a lot of other (legal) buzzes like it.  Even after some pretty horrific accidents, these guys just get back on and go again.  I'm talking like 300km per hour in some cases - that is a pretty scary horse to get back on!

I still don't get how or why they do it, but I certainly enjoyed watching it.  You don't have to be a big motorcycle enthusiast to enjoy it but I do think having a certain amount of interest and knowledge of racing would heighten your enjoyment.

I came out of this movie on a high, but now I end the evening on a low.  Tonight a young guy's life was cut tragically short and his family and friends will never see him come home again.  I know this can happen to anyone at any time as accidents do happen, but certain activities and jobs do increase the risk significantly.  They all know what they're getting into when they start it, but I guess you don't ever think it's going to happen to you.  And once the buzz takes hold, it is probably very hard to shake.  As everyone has been saying "he died doing something he loved".  I guess that thought gives us, the survivors, some comfort when a loved one does not return....but for the next couple of days at least can we all just take extra care on the motorbikes and when driving near motorbikes, and tell your family that you love them before you go out.

No comments:

Post a Comment