Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Sunday 1 July 2012

Movie #14 - Cabin in the Woods

Cabin in the Woods is a little movie with a big pedigree that nearly slipped by Australia altogether.  Big pedigree because the idea and script came from the man Joss Whedon (admired by nerds for Firefly, Buffy , Angel, Serenity and now the well done The Avengers movie) and Drew Goddard (admired by nerds for being a co-writer on Lost, Angel, Buffy and Cloverfield), Goddard directs and it stars currently very hot Aussie actor Chris Hemsworth (Thor, The Avengers, Snow White and the Huntsman).   Due for straight to DVD oblivion for some reason, the bloggers and fans took to the internet and protested and hence we have a limited season screening only at Palace Barracks in Brisbane.  Check websites for options in other locations.  I also recommend you book ahead if you plan on seeing it - our first attempt on the first Saturday night was sold out and the session on the Tuesday we attended also sold out but I'd learned and booked tickets online earlier in the day.

Cabin in the Woods is not a movie I can tell you much about.  The plot is simple - five teens head to one of their relatives' cabin in the woods for a fun weekend away.  Not long after they arrive, they discover nothing is as it seems with the cabin and they have to fight for their lives.  However, even that is not as it seems.  The reviews and publicity I've seen have possibly overrated this as having a "massive twist ending" or "turning every horror movie cliche on it's head".  What happens in this movie is not a twist as such, as many clues are given even from the beginning of the movie.  It is fair to say though that although the first 20 minutes feels like your typical teens in danger slasher film, it ends up not being very conventional.  However I don't think it turns every horror movie cliche upside down either.  It's just a very smart idea that hasn't really been done before.

The teens in question are mostly unknown other than the aforementioned Chris Hemsworth, which does kind of help them to sink into their stereotype characters - the jock, the slutty chick, the good girl, the brain and the joker.  What happens to these college kids is very interesting though and makes you want them to survive despite the eye rolling cliche-ness of it all at first. 

I'm not going to say anymore other than that while it is not a scary horror movie, but it is a really good gory horror movie and it will definitely make you think about 'what would I do if i was in that situation?'.  There is one particular scene in the movie that is a real standout and, for me, probably one of the best scenes in any movie I've seen in the last few years. Ever since I saw this movie I've had this song in my head and that can only be a good thing.  Highly recommended for gore hounds with patience.....

2 comments:

  1. Damn Now I'm no longer happy to wait for dvd. but I'll have to. Maybe I'll borrow it off you when you get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you just go see it? Cheap Tuesday

    ReplyDelete