Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Friday 31 August 2012

Modern life is rubbish

As I turned to my favourite newspaper liftout yesterday to read this week's film and music reviews, I noticed a strange turn of events.  This has prompted me to borrow the fantastic line from the Britpop band Blur (second album title) for the title of this little rant - modern life is rubbish!

Rubbish, because some idiot at our cinema chains has decided that they will stop publishing the times of the movies in the newspaper ads! How stupid is it that they run an ad in the newspaper to show what movies are on, then don't publish the times of those movies?  To get the times, you have to go to their website or use the mobile phone app.  IF I CAN GO TO YOUR WEBSITE FOR MOVIE TIMES, I WOULD HAVE LOOKED THERE FOR WHAT MOVIES WERE ON AND WOULDN'T HAVE EVEN OPENED THE NEWSPAPER!  God, don't they know that nobody reads the newspaper anymore?  Except I do!

It just makes no sense to me - if you aren't going to publish the times because you want people on the website, why spend all that money on the newspaper ad at all?  It would be more logical to just cease publishing the ads altogether.  Now I just get really annoyed as I think "ooh, I could make the 8pm session of a movie, wonder what's on, I'll just have a quick peek in the paper" and I can see where the movie is showing but I have no info.  I have to wait for my laptop to load up to find the times (I think I might be Amish, I don't use the internet on my phone and only recently discovered that it even works after thinking for about a year that it didn't work).  I'm the first to admit that I'm not very tech savvy and I'm definitely not a 'gadget' fan, but surely I am not alone.  How do 70 year olds find out what time the movies are on these days?

This trend was started by the ever so hip and trendy and price-gouging Event Cinemas, but now Hoyts have followed suit.  I can only hope that the other chains do not also decide to do this.  I think I might write some feedback to both, but I have very low expectations after the completely moronic responses I got from my last feedback on the excessive length of the pre-show programs (ads and trailers).  One actually wrote back to me 'We do not control how long the movie is' - DUH! Thanks Captain Obvious.  At no stage did I mention the length of the movie in my comments.  Do people even know how to read anymore or can't they handle anything longer than LOL or 27 characters of Twitter?  Is the cancellation of movie times in the newspaper ads some kind of acknowledgement of our dwindling attention spans for the written word?  I guess if you're reading this, you're going against the trend since I'm well over 27 characters.  But maybe we're the last of the old guard.  Who reads newspapers anymore?

End of rant

No comments:

Post a Comment