Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Thursday 30 August 2012

Movie #21 - Moonrise Kingdom

Wes Anderson, I could kiss you! Your latest movie is a gift to the big, cruel world out there, a salve to a work-weary, sarcasm loving person whose head is down and shoulders are tensed.  Perfect timing then that this movie hits our screens now, just when the world seems to be getting so dark and scary if you pay attention to what's happening outside our doorstep.  Whimsical, fluffy, innocent, delightful.  These words do not do it justice though.

I don't really know whether to describe the plot of this movie or let you find out for yourselves.  Just a quick sketch though so you can see if it's right for you.  Set in the 1960s, the film tracks the adventures of two very young teens who decide they're in love and they should run away together.  The fact that they live on a quirky little island with no roads and are tracked by a lonely scout master, scout troop, lonely cop and the girl's disconnected parents, plus the slow reveal of what these teens are really like, is what makes this different to any other movie.  Any other movie except another Wes Anderson movie of course (being The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Bottle Rocket and Darjeeling Limited).  Wes' movies are always set in this little self-contained world that bears no resemblance to reality and yet the movies are full of wisdom about human relationships and all those touching little moments that make life worth living.

The acting is top-notch by all the adults (regular Bill Murray, newbies Bruce Willis, Edward Norton and Frances McDormand) and while the kids are mostly first-timers and a little awkward, it adds a certain charm and realness to the story of young love tipping everyone's life into chaos.  The set design (especially Suzy's family home - I want to live there!) and desaturated cinematography in the outdoor scenes are splendid and the period detail is amazing, along with the kitschy cute soundtrack.

I don't think I stopped smiling at this movie from the first minute.  If you don't walk out with a smile on your face, I think you should immediately check your pulse, stop reading the news and stop trying to be so cool!  Unless you only like movies with guns and explosions, this is a must-see movie.  Quite odd and yes, again, whimsical, but it's just so sweet I guarantee you'll love it.

1 comment: