Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Saturday 19 March 2011

# 4 Movie Seen - Hall Pass

Hall Pass is the latest movie from the Farrelly Brothers, who gave us There's Something About Mary and Me, Myself and Irene.Yep, it's another rude silly comedy.  It's about a couple of married suburban guys who are a bit frustrated with their sex lives, until their wives give them a "hall pass" which is a week off being married where they can do whatever they want.  The concept sounds a bit ridiculous but the setup actually makes it seem more plausible than it sounds, as the girls figure that it's the idea of being able to do it that the guys will enjoy most, not the actual cheating.  I thought that a lot of the humour in this movie came from it being quite relateable to real life - these average joes (Owen Wilson does a pretty good job of being ordinary) are always checking out young, really hot women and seem to assume that they will just have to run a quick pickup line to have gorgeous women falling all over them.  However these guys find it is a tad more difficult than that.  The fun really begins when the women realise they too have a hall pass and of course guys are lining up to spend time with these attractive women.  The movie had some really funny moments, but probably not as many as you would like compared to say There's Something about Mary.  As with all the Farrelly Brothers movies there is a bit of a moral and some gooey emotional bits (which probably are needed to offset the cruder scenes/jokes) but I would still rate it a solid 3/5 if you don't expect too much from your comedies.

No comments:

Post a Comment