Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Wednesday 30 March 2011

#6 Movie asks a lot of big questions....

I attended a preview last night of a film coming out today (30 March) called "Never Let Me Go".  I had heard much about this film and was looking forward to seeing it, and I'm glad to say it did not disappoint.  This movie asks some really big questions and will keep you thinking about it for a while afterwards I suspect.  Ben and I had another big conversation after this one...
I can't tell you too much about this movie as it is best left to discover on your own.  It doesn't have a big twist or anything, it's just that it is very subtle and it's probably best to experience it the way the filmmaker wants you to.  From an overall point of view you would classify the movie as a touching drama with a bit of sci-fi.  So the first big question asked is "What is sci-fi" - most people think spaceships and/or aliens when you say sci-fi, but really most sci-fi is about presenting an alternative reality that could exist if something was possible that is not currently possible (e.g. space travel, robots, monsters existing etc).  Never Let Me Go is sci-fi in the sense of being very realistic and recognisable as our own world, but with one difference - a significant medical breakthrough in the 1950s that has not occurred in real life.  From this beginning, you are taken on a journey into the lives of three young people who exist in this world.  The three characters are Cathy (Carey Mulligan from Wall St 2), Tommy (Andrew Garfield from The Social Network) and Ruth (Keira Knightley) who attend the same school and whose fate seems to be very intertwined. The movie follows the relationship between the three as they grow up from 10 year olds into their teens and twenties, hence I would probably classify it mostly as a drama.  However it is in no way a chick flick - it is very touching and realistic (even within the sci-fi setting) and in no way cheesy or soppy.  Both guys and girls will be able to relate and should find it interesting.
I really don't want to say anymore about the plot, but basically this film should end up with you asking yourself "what is it to be human" and "what would happen if this medical breakthrough was really possible" and the answers are just not straightforward as the movie demonstrates. Thought provoking and with excellent performances (although Keira Knightley is still annoying with what I have labelled her "mouth acting"), I would give this a 4 out of 5 and recommend seeing this film unless you need action and explosions in your sci-fi.  Once you have seen it, I'd love to hear what you thought of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment