Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Saturday 2 April 2011

What are you looking forward to?

My first poll has just closed and it seems I do have some movie fans visiting.  The majority said they would see more than 15 films a year and another group said 5-10.  So with all that movie viewing ahead of us, I thought I'd see what upcoming films people are getting excited about (even though it's April already - time flies!). Here are some movies I'm interested in or actually excited to see.
  1. Paul (out 14 April).  Two guys on a road trip come across an alien who has been stuck on Earth for so long he has a lot of human traits, and try to help him get back to his ship.  Why am I excited?  Simon Pegg and Nick Frost wrote and appear as the two main characters.  You love them from such great things as Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and Spaced.  Seth Rogen as the voice of the alien too.  Trailer looked very funny.
  2. Sucker Punch (14 April?). Layer upon layer of weirdness and arse-kicking females from Zack Snyder.  Okay, his movie 300 was so-so but he gave us the brilliant Watchmentand also the Dawn of the Dead remake a few years back.  This movie will probably be more style than substance, but so what?
  3. Source Code (April). A guy keeps getting sent back in time in 8 minute blocks to figure out who blew up a train and stop it.  The plot sounds a bit done to death, but there are two reasons it will be interesting: Duncan Jones and Jake Gyllenhaal.  You know the latter, the former is the director of Moon, a genius sci-fi character piece from 2 years ago.  AKA Zowie Bowie, son of David, so he knows a bit about sci-fi.
  4. Your Highness (May).  A bunch of massive silliness starring James Franco, Danny McBride (who should re-create their Pineapple Express chemistry), Zooey Deschanel and Natalie Portman. A medieval stoner comedy that will hopefully rock.  Ben will be in heaven with both Zooey and Natalie (apparently you see Nat's bum for a bit).
  5. Pirates of the Carribbean 4 - I enjoyed all of the films but the new one should have an edge by focusing back on Captain Jack and there will be no Keira and Orlando mushing up the weirdness.  Barbossa is back in the thick of it too, and Pene Cruz should add some sassiness.  I'm hopeful.
Superheroes are a big theme this year.  I like the look of Thor but not so much Captain America.  There is a new reboot of Spiderman on its way, not sure about this but I do like Andrew Garfield (Peter Parker).  Cowboys and Aliens looks like it could be fun and add a new spin to the hero saves the world genre (stars Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig).  Green Lantern looks iffy and I won't be doing Transformers 3X-Men First Class could go either way, the first trilogy was pretty good but the first prequel, Wolverine, was average (Ben fell asleep!).

The other big unsurprising news is that Hollywood is continuing to focus on sequels, some of interest but most seeming unncessary.  Most unneccessary award goes to Fast and the Furious 5.  There are 3 Part 4s due out this year - the good should be Pirates and Scream, the bad will be Twilight Breaking Dawn.  The final Harry Potter instalment is coming soon and I can't wait to see it.  The Hangover Part 2 is my most anticipated sequel while Sherlock Holmes 2 could be fun.  Most unnecessary remakes award goes to Conan the Barbarian and The Thing.

That's my list - please tell me what you are most looking forward to seeing - maybe we can go and enjoy it together? Either leave a comment below or take the poll to the left.

3 comments:

  1. Actually Sucker Punch came out yesterday 7 April - let me know if anyone goes to see it this weekend and whether it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to the following movies (not sure if they all come out this year though):
    The Hangover Part II
    Everything Must Go
    Captain America
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Jurys Out, prolly wont actually go to the movies to see it)
    Green Lantern
    Friends with Benefits

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just in - Empire have given Thor a rating of 4 out of 5! The doubters might be wrong... How do I choose what to go see over Easter? Why do all the good movies come out at once????

    ReplyDelete