Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Friday 29 April 2011

Various updates

Gah! The Mother's Day catalogues have landed, full of romantic comedies and soppy chick flicks.  Refer to my earlier post "His and Hers DVDs" for more on this, but WHY, WHY, WHY does this keep happening?  Someone dare me to write to the retailers and complain, please!

We went to the movie trivia night at Mana Bar the other night, unless they change it I probably wouldn't go again.  It was extremely geeky and seemed to focus on the massively obscure. I'm gonna send some feedback to suggest they broaden it a little if they want to broaden their client base for the bar overall. Although I seem geeky about movies, I had nothing on the people there on Tuesday night!

The last poll on movie marathons has closed and Star Wars won - can't wait for that intro to start rolling down my screen. Stay tuned for the next poll.

Upcoming movie events of interest (in Brisbane) are the "Let there Be Rock" program at GOMA, Tribal Cinema is screening Donnie Darko all week and for Foo Fighters fans there is a documentary showing this weekend only "Back and Forth" which documents their history, followed by a concert in 3D.  The GOMA program is looking really good, it's a mix of classics, modern, doco and fictionalised stories about bands or musicians, here is the website which lists all the films and times - http://qag.qld.gov.au/cinematheque/current/let_there_be_rock
I can definitely recommend the following if you haven't seen them before: 6FtHick - Notes from the Brisbane Underground, It Might get Loud, Metallica: Some Kind of Monster, The Runaways and This is Spinal Tap. 

Some of the films I'm interested to see based on word of mouth are 9 Songs, Ladies & Gentlemen The Fabulous Stains, When You're Strange - A Film about The Doors, and Dogs in Space.  Definitely check the program and remember the Friday night sessions are accompanied by short live music sets. 

I also watched Buried on DVD the other day - this is a good little movie about a kidnapped truck driver in Iraq who wakes up buried alive in a box.  The whole movie is set in the box! It really shows how much you can do with a tight script and inventive camera angles, I liked it, especially the ending.

That's a wrap!

No comments:

Post a Comment