Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Thursday 22 November 2012

BIFF #11 - The Mercenary

Today I attended 'The Mercenary', the first movie I've picked out of the Spaghetti Western retrospective mini-program.  I've not really seen a lot of classic Westerns but I do enjoy the elements in a Western.  Young Guns is one of my favourite movies so I thought I'd go and have a look at the older movies which have a much more serious point of view and often times policital statements being made.

The Mercenary is a fairly political movie, dealing with a Mexican revolution, rising up against the rich white businessman coming across the border to run the mines and forcing the locals to work in poor conditions.  However while this is the theme, it's not too bleak as the focus is actually on the relationship between revolution leader Paco Romano and a Polish immigrant mercenary named Sergei but referred to mostly as 'the Polak' for his origins.  It's a love/hate relationship that makes for a lot of fun.  Essentially Sergei comes across Paco early on in his revolution and basically masterminds the whole thing for a series of escalating payments from Paco, but allowing Paco to take all the credit/infamy.  The army and a rich dandy named Curly (played by a very young Jack Palance with a full head of thick, curly black hair!) are all after Paco, Sergei and their crew - will they be able to escape and carry on with their dream?

All the elements of a good Western are present and correct here - the lone gunslinger (Sergei), a fantastic Ennico Morricone soundrack (love that whistling), the beautiful scenery,the fesity woman, the struggle and grit, plus those trademark activities - gambling, drinking, brawling and shooting.  All of the parts are assembled beautifully for a rollicking ride backwards and forwards across Mexico.  I'm looking forward to seeing Django tomorrow now!

No comments:

Post a Comment