Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Friday 16 November 2012

BIFF Update - Sons of Anarchy

Punk rawk! I kicked off my 'official' festival experience last night with 'Sons of Norway', a funny and sweet movie about a kid just trying to rebel by getting into punk rock in the late 70s, foiled at every turn by his dad's liberal views.  If you like punk music, you'll love this entertaining and very funny movie as I did.

Nikolaj is a young boy, I'd guess about 14, brought up in Norway by a loving but slightly oddball family.  His dad is a bit of a hippie with extremely liberal views on many things, and his Mum is a very loving and tolerant lady who indulges her husband and kids.  At the beginning, Nikolaj and his friends dress like normal kids in flared jeans and t-shirts but they are already interested in music such as The Stooges and the Sex Pistols.  Following a tragic accident with his mother, Nikolaj increasingly turns to punk as a way of life that resonates for him and rebels against society, police and parents.  The only problem is that his Dad, Magnus, not only is not offended by Nik's clothing and behaviour, he doesn't even comment on some of it and as time goes on he even openly embraces the ethos and actively encourages the boys to continue.  Needless to say, acceptance isn't what Nik is looking for from his dad and you wonder what is going to happen to these two lovable misfits.

The things I loved about this movie were the nostalgia for the 70s punk explosion, the humour and the fact that the Dad was actually the most anarchist person in the group.  My friend Mat accompanied me and I think he summed it up well in saying that it was great because it wasn't a typical Hollywood structure of a movie.  If this was your typical Hollywood movie, the dad would be disapproving and there'd be a struggle and then everyone would kiss and make up at the end, but instead the dad is liberal to the extreme and the boy has to come to terms with the fact that he really has nothing to rebel against.  I think it's trying to say something about the punk movement's ethos with a guest appearance by Johnny Rotten (looking more and more like a caricature every day) but I didn't really get a clear idea of the conclusion it was drawing.  Despite the slightly downbeat ending, I found this to be really entertaining and I remember having a big smile on my face almost the whole time.

Sons of Norway is screening again on Saturday 17 November (tomorrow) at 6:30pm.  Check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting, a nice twist on a classic storyline of youth rebellion.

    ReplyDelete