Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Friday 14 December 2012

BIFF 2012 Wrap Up

Phew, what a busy couple of weeks I've had with BIFF, followed by a rock and roll odyssey lasting 2 weeks and then realising it's almost Christmas and I better get shopping!  I've only now had time to digest the BIFF experience and provide a summary.

Between the 12th and the 25th of November, I ended up seeing 23 movies in total.  And there wasn't a really bad one in the bunch, I picked pretty well again.  Before we look at my Top 5, here is what won the Audience Vote during the festival (for non-BIFF goers, you get to vote on a scale of 1-5 after each movie by ripping a little voting slip and handing it in).  It seems they've heard my previous criticism and the results are based on the percentage of 'love it' votes because some of these movies had extremely small audiences but still made the Top 10.  That's what it should be about, the amount that the people who saw it liked it, not how many people were free to attend at that time.

Showtime Movie Channels Top 10:

  1. The Hunt
  2. Mission to Lars
  3. The Field of Magic
  4. The Central Park Five
  5. Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has to Travel
  6. Amour
  7. Waziz
  8. No
  9. Thy Womb
  10. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Close but no cigar went to Coral Rekindling Venus, Show me the Magic, Miami Connection, Ai WeiWei's Never Sorry, The Queen of Versailles, Marina Abramovic: The Artist is Present (shown on TV this week!), Ernest & Celestine.

Alright, that's what everyone else loved, what about me?  My Top 5 was:
1. God Bless America (US).  If I don't get this for Christmas, I'll be ordering it off Amazon on Boxing Day!
2. Mission to Lars (UK - also #2 above) -  I think we all agreed this was a heartwarming charmer.
3. Sinister (US).  Almost scared the pants off me.  I love having my pants scared off!
4. The Reluctant Revolutionary (Yemen/Irish production).  Shocking, inspiring, eye-opening and very real.
5. Sons of Norway (Norway). Funny, touching coming of age tale mixed with punk rebellion.

I would also rate Miami Connection close to the Top 5 for pure stupidity and hilarity, and also Maniac was a strong contender for just pure originality in an overstuffed slasher genre.

If you get a chance to see any of these movies, I suggest that you take that chance.  There's a whole world out there around us and BIFF is a great way to see what is happening in places you would normally never see or read about without great difficulty.  Even if you wouldn't watch them over and over again, these movies are a great experience to have.  Let me guide you next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment