Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Tuesday 18 December 2012

movie #27 - Twilight Breaking Dawn Pt2

Surprisingly, this movie did not suck. After Breaking Dawn Part 1 has taken out my award for one of the worst films I've seen in years, I had low expectations on the second and final instalment of the Twilight saga.  Those expectactions were pleasingly exceeded by one main factor: a clever way to end the movie on an exciting note without completely changing the book ending.  But I can't tell you about that because it would break my own rule about no spoilers.  So you'll just have to decide whether you will give it a chance or not.  To review this movie though, there are spoilers from earlier films so don't read below if you are not caught up.


Part 2 picks up the moment that Part 1 left off, where Bella awakens as a newborn vampire after the birth of her and Edward's half-vampire half-human child.  The scenes of Bella understanding her new feelings and strength and feeding for the first time are fairly laughable from a special effects perspective but at least provide some excitement which was sadly lacking from Part 1.  We then expect to fall back into the typical Bella/Edward/Jake love triangle but this is dashed by discovering that Jake has 'imprinted' on the child Renesmee and no longer has the same feelings for Bella.  Things get a little boring as the family group get all gooey, snuggly and cosy and watch Renesmee grow up a little too fast but luckily imminent danger is just around the corner to wake us up.  The Volturi hear about a child with extraordinary powers from a passerby who was a former friend of the Cullen clan.  They vault (geddit) into action without looking for evidence, mounting a campaign to come and kill the child which threatens the security and secrecy of the vampire race in the world.  The Cullens swing into action to defend their little treasure who is not what the Volturi think, recruiting in a bunch of fun vampires from around the world to 'testify' for them.

The scenes of the 'good' vamps practising their talents and preparing for war with the Volturi are quite fun although I thought more could have been covered with Bella's particular talent (been a while since I read the book but I recall that being more critical than it's made out to be in the film.  The final confrontation is not quite the anti-climax I have always felt the book was, thanks to the aforementioned cleverness of the screen writers which will not be revealed here.  It's definitely a satisfactory ending to a series that has had its ups and downs in excitement and given us the dubious acting talents of Taylor Lautner, Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart (who has been a lot better elsewhere).  The endless intense stares continue in this movie so if you weren't a fan before, don't expect any changes here....  The whole movie is not awful though, with some tension, fun and laughs (love your work actor who plays Charlie).

No comments:

Post a Comment