Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Tuesday 19 February 2013

Movie # 5 - The Impossible


The Impossible is a devastating movie to watch, recreating the events of the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami which struck Indonesia, Thailand, the Maldives and other countries in the same region.  Hundreds of thousands of people were killed, many more injured or displaced and any beachfront land was just razed.  The impact was so devastating because they were so unprepared for it, leading to the development of the current Early Warning System that we have now.  So why do we want or need a movie on this topic when there was so much news coverage at the time and on the anniversaries ever since?

The answer I guess lies in the way the filmmakers have chosen to tell the story – reducing the focus down to the survival story of one family and not trying to look at the region wide issues or just shock you for shock’s sake.  It’s a story of great courage, determination and never losing hope, set in possibly the most hopeless and scary situation you could face.  This is based on the experiences of a real family from Spain who were holidaying when the tsunami struck, with the mother and eldest son being swept away by the wall of water, while the father and two little boys who remained at the destroyed resort.  In the film, it has been changed to an English family for reasons unknown but probably to allow them to cast Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts as the couple, who put in powerhouse performances.  I don’t know how closely the plot sticks to their real experience but it seems pretty authentic with all the ‘near misses’ the family goes through in their quest to be reunited.

My motivation in seeing the movie was mainly driven by the hype around Naomi Watts’ performance as Maria Bennett, rather than any particular desire to understand more about the tsunami.  And so I was a little unprepared for the shock and awe that the filmmakers have delivered, finding myself gasping out loud at various points, white knuckled with stress and welling up with emotion as some of the parents’ incredibly difficult decisions resulted in sad consequences.

The performance by Naomi Watts is incredible, even when she is simply lying in a hospital terribly injured.  The director has literally and figuratively put her through a wringer in this film and she does deserve the awards she has won to date.  But Ewan McGregor’s performance should not have been overlooked either, although featuring less in the movie, as some of his scenes are the most heart wrenching of all as he is torn between looking after his small children or searching for his beloved wife and eldest son who may be dead but he refuses to give up hope.  The children’s performances are quite amazing for their age and what they must have been exposed to mentally and physically to pull off the tsunami scene.

Many people will choose not to see this movie to avoid a reminder of a huge tragedy which could be exploitative, and I completely understand this.  I would have been one of that group without my Oscars goal.  It’s not a must-see movie given how closely it covers an enormous level of human suffering. However, I’m glad that I did see it and that they haven’t exploited the issue.  I definitely can’t say I enjoyed it (yes I know it’s one of my favourite descriptions, I will work on that) but I gained something from the viewing.  An appreciation of the smallness of our existence compared to Mother Nature’s power, of telling the people around you that you love them (something the family in the movie did all the time which is probably what gave them the hope to carry on looking and find each other, knowing the others would be doing the same) and of the strength we are capable of if we have a purpose and don’t just give in to hopelessness. Sad and horrifying, but inspirational and amazing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment