Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Sunday 24 February 2013

Top 5 Soundwave 2013 Moments

 
 Captain's Log: Saturday 22 February 2013, Soundwave Festival at RNA Showgrounds Brisbane
 
 

Well Soundwave 2013 would have to be the biggest and best music festival we've seen in many years. An incredible lineup was assembled, forcing us to make some very difficult choices throughout the day (or at least anyone who isn't into only one specific type of music).  But how anyone can complain about the clashes or choices is beyond me - it just means you are getting to see the cream of the crop and there are always sidewaves to attend. 

The festival's organisation was top notch this year with many improvements.  Though it makes no difference to this little straight-edge duck, the ability to take your alcoholic beverages anywhere except into the D barrier made the day much more enjoyable for those who like to actually see the bands they are hearing and drink at the same time.  The lineup to get in was almost non-existent at 11:30am.  There were few queues for food given the size of the crowd, bar and drink lines were pretty short, no toilet queues (and clean!), free sunscreen, and the stage layout was perfect.  The weather was great, although we all wished for a bit less of that hot hot sun as the afternoon waned.  Bet Slayer's Tom Araya in his leather pants wished the sun would set a bit faster!

Finding the perfect hat to go with my outfit for the day, for sale at one of the market stalls, was a happy accident.  OK onto my Top 5 moments of the day:

1. Cutting sick to Sick of it All on tiny little Stage 6 inside the Auditorium. After a day spent observing, bopping away down the back of a huge crowd, the indoor stage was intimate, dark, air conditioned and full of rough and tough hardcore kids during Madball.  These disappeared for SOIA, allowing me to go a little crazy with the fists without fear of being hurt or hurting anyone.  The wall of death was a bit scary since our side was outnumbered about 10 to 1.  But I managed to do it! Fun.



2. Metallica, the whole thing.  I wasn't fully planning to watch these guys but on the day I couldn't resist the master professionals.  The biggest 'show' Soundwave has ever put on, with amazing lights, screens, fireworks off the roof, pyro on stage, giant ramp.  Oh year, and four of the best players in the world ripping out most of my favourite tracks!

3. Kyuss on the main stage.  They sucked all the heat out of the sky and made the place super cool.  I absolutely loved hearing 'One Inch Man' live for the first time ever. Garcia's voice isn't quite as good as it used to be but damn these guys built a groove.

4. Anthrax. Antisocial rocked, their Dimebag Daryl and Ronny James Dio tribute was touching, and their cover of TNT was the best Bon Scott impersonation I've heard.

5. Hanging out with my friends while watching The Vandals, Sum 41, Bullet for my Valentine, Slayer and Dragonforce.  Keeping the gang together for most of the day was challenging but rewarding.  It also allowed me to enjoy Metallica with Josh and Michelle, neither of whom had seen them live before which was fun to hear their reaction.

I do wish I could've seen a bit of The Offspring (the good old bits), Garbage and Paramore, but them's the breaks.  Next time!

3 comments:

  1. Well said about Metallica.... as quite an obsessive fan this show has gone straight into my top 5... nearly a near perfect set in this Metallica freaks eyes. I knew we were in for a good show when James was so chatty in the pre show meet and greet !! still on Cloud 9...... BJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh, sooooo wishing we could we have been there to join you guys! The plan is next year! The Perth leg that is.....But we will visit Brissie as well.....YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rad hat!

    I'm super impressed there were no toilet queues and they were clean! That's remarkable!

    Very surprised the tough kids exited after Madball with SOIA following. I would have thought they'd love both.

    Glad that you had fun.

    ReplyDelete