Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Sunday 24 February 2013

Oscars 2013 Tips

The Oscars are on tomorrow! This has come at a bad time for me but I've managed to squeeze in seeing 4 of the Best Picture nominees in the last week so I feel a bit more informed now.  Nobody better ruin any of the categories for me since I'll be taping the show while I'm at work and watching it later.....

Here are my predictions for the Oscars:

Best Picture
I'm now convinced that Argo is going to win this category.  It was smart, entertaining but most of all tense and exciting.  Lincoln was a worthy film on a worthy topic but it's just plain boring in parts. Beasts of the Southern Wild could pull of a surprise win but I don't think any of the others are in it.

Best Actor
There are some really good performances here but I think the favourite is Daniel Day Lewis and I think he probably does deserve to win and will win.  It is a startling likeness and how much he changed his voice and walk is worthy of the award.

Best Actress
This is a tough choice, either Naomi Watts or Jennifer Lawrence will win.  Both are excellent performances, one showy and dramatic, one understated and dramatic.  I'm going to pick Jennifer Lawrence as the winner but I personally think Naomi deserves it.

Best Supporting Actor
Christoph Waltz for Django Unchained, surely.  Anything else will be a crime.  Alan Arkin is barely in Argo!

Best Supporting Actress
Les Mis is one of the few I haven't seen this year but I'm going with the short-priced favourite, Anne Hathaway for this category.

Best Screenplay - Adapted
Tough choice again.  Argo may win this too for a very smart script.

Best Screenplay - Original
Come on down Quentin Tarantino.  Django Unchained is the highest profile here, although Amour could give it a run for it's money with the critics.

Best Song
Adele's Skyfall theme should romp home here.  I'm still humming it!

Best Animated Feature
I reckon Wreck-It Ralph will take the trophy here although Frankenweenie was better and had more heart.

Best Cinematography
I'm betting on Life of Pi to win this and the Visual Effects Oscar.  It was stunning!

Best Foreign Film
Amour will surely top this category.

Best Director
This is probably the hardest one for me to pick.  Steven Spielberg is the sentimental favourite and Lincoln is again worthy subject matter, but the film is kind of boring.  I'd like to see Ang Lee win for making the 'unfilmable' book Life of Pi into such a great movie, and I'd like to see Behn Zeitlin win for the unique Beasts but it's probably too obscure.  David O. Russell is too much of a troublemaker to win the Oscar at this point.  Therefore I think Michael Haneke may win this, but I'll go with Spielberg as my final answer.

Seth McFarlane will kick arse as the host in opinion so I'm really looking forward to the ceremony regardless of how many I get right.  Tracking down these films has given me many hours of quality viewing in the last few months.  Feel free to comment on my accuracy with the benefit of hindsight tomorrow night!

1 comment:

  1. Alright alright! I managed to tip all but Best Director (very pleased with the outcome though as it's who I wanted to win and thought should win) and Best Animated Feature. Not bad! Anyone want to have a punt at the TAB next year?

    ReplyDelete