Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Thursday 19 January 2012

Beat the Heat - new 19 January

Four new movies to help you beat the heat this weekend:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is a new film version of the classic John le Carre spy novel.  If you are going to this one though, be aware that is nothing like the Bourne/Bond/Mission Impossible spy capers - this is a serious film about digging out a mole in the service using the talents of spies to blend into the background and observe.  Lots of drama but very little gunfire I'd guess.  Strong word of mouth on Gary Oldman's portrayal of George Smiley and a strong supporting cast, plus it's directed by Tomas Alfredson (director of the Swedish Let the Right One In) so there should be lots of atmosphere.

The drawcard of Young Adult could either be Charlize Theron, or the pairing up again of Diablo Cody (screenwriter) and Jason Reitman (director) who had a big hit with Juno together plus their own individual hits.  This takes the premise of Bad Teacher and extends it even further - an early 30s hottie with low self esteem addicted to booze decides to move back to her hometown after seeing her old classmate happily married and having a child.  She decides to convince him he would be happier with her.  Dark comedy seems to be the order of the day.

Journey 2 the Mysterious Island is the sequel to the Journey to the Centre of the Earth film from a few years back.  Seems to be for the tween audience, with a bit of adventure, Vanessa Hudgens and giant bees.  The giant bird poo joke in the ad has definitely put me off - lame.  And don't even get me started on the 3D scene of the boy throwing berries at The Rock's pecs and them bouncing right at you!!!! Oh Michael Caine who have you insulted to be in this?

Finally we have The Darkest Hour, another 3D adventure film.  Aliens invade the world and a couple of teens on holiday in Moscow have to save the world.  This looks pretty average in the storyline and effects, which is disappointing as it is directed by Timur Bekmambetov who did such a good job with the Nightwatch and Daywatch movies and Wanted.

I'm booked into see The Muppets on the weekend so stay tuned for that review of "the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Mupettational; this is what we call The Muppet Show"!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment