Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Thursday 26 January 2012

This week's squeeze

The squeeze is really on in the cinema this week as more new releases come out while there are still so many quality films on offer.  With the art-house cinemas showing more mainstream fare it is really hard for films to last very long at the moment.

Newies this week are:

1. J Edgar, the biopic about the guy who pretty much invented the FBI and championed fingerprint technology, starring Leonardo di Caprio.
2. A Few Best Men which is from Aussie director Stephan Elliott who did Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.  You would have seen the ads and previews for this, it is about an English guy coming to Australia with his 3 mates for his wedding to an Aussie girl. Comedic chaos ensues with our Olivia Newton-John returning to celluloid to play the coke-snorting mother of the bride. 
3. Weekend, a low key indie flick about a guy picking up another guy in a bar, which leads to something more as they meet up again over the weekend and talk through some pretty heavy issues.  Has scored some rave reviews so far with many likening it to rom-conversation films Before Sunrise and Before Sunset.
4. Underworld:Awakening.  Vamps versus Lycans (werewolves) now in probably unnecessary 3D!  You already know if you want to see this!

This weekend's Drawn to Screen program has Scott Pilgrims vs the World and camp classic Barbarella on Friday night, American Splendour on Saturday arvo, sorta superhero double bill Sin City and Spiderman 2 on Saturday night and Persepolis on Sunday arvo.  Talk about a mixed bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment