Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Tuesday 17 January 2012

Survey Says!

The results of a Bigpond Movies Survey are out and it seems that the #1 most seen movie in Brisbane is "Grease".  According to the survey 1 in 3 people in Brisbane has seen Grease more than 5 times.  That ain't bad considering it was made in 1978 and there must be a reasonable proportion of the population that weren't born then, this one has travelled well!

Grease (10+) was followed by Forrest Gump (0), Star Wars (original 1977 film I assume - 5), Love Actually (1/3) and Pretty Woman  (3).  The numbers in brackets are how many times I estimate I've seen these movies.  So I'm not really in agreement with the survey participants.  I know, you're shocked I haven't seen Forrest Gump.  Sorry, just haven't gotten around to it yet.  The Shawshank Redemption is another on that list, I really want to see that!  When you watch a lot of movies, you tend to only have time to watch them one or two times.  That would be standard for most movies in my collection.

But this makes me curious as to what are the movies that people have seen the most.  Another issue that prompted this train of thought was a young friend who I discovered had not seen Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, a movie I estimate I would have seen at least 15 times.  I made him watch it on Saturday night and I think he enjoyed it (even with me saying most of the lines, which backs up the 15 estimate).  I think you really must see the movie that introduced the world to the fantastic Keanu Reeves, despite the fact that he would act woodenly in nearly every film after this.

So can you please share with me what movies you have seen the most?  Not what you think are the "best" movies or your "favourite" movies, but what movies have you seen the most in total.  Because there are many reasons why you might have seen a movie multiple times even if not your favourite, here are a few:

1) It's your partner's favourite movie.  Aaahhh, so giving you are.  In this category I place Billly Madison (8?) although I definitely rate this comedy myself.  Also Office Space (7).

2) It's your child's favourite movie.  Kids are wonderful at watching movies over and over and over and not getting bored.... I don't have personal experience in this one but I know some of you guys will. Toy Story, Cars, Lion King anyone?

3) It gets played on the television a lot.  There are some movies that just always seem to be on telly no matter how good or popular they were on their original release.  To this category I would attribute Shallow Hal (4) a movie which is not spectacular in any way but inexplicably seems to get shown on telly every few months.  You start watching and then you just can't stop.  Great concept (true beauty is on the inside) but how does he not figure out she's not a skinny chick - doesn't he have hands?  What a mystery.....  I think Pretty Woman could fall into this category as well as well as several Elvis movies.

4) You travel a lot.  If you are flying frequently or staying in hotels there is a good chance you've seen a few movies more than once through lack of choice.  Although portable devices wil probably put an end to this one.

5) You are obsessed with the actor.  I went through this massive Emilio Estevez phase when I was a teenager so I would guess I've seen Young Guns (10+) more than anyone else.  This possibly also explains The Crow (7) and Empire Records (6).

6) Family traditions.  The Sound of Music (10+) - need I say more?  I think every family has movies that they watch year after year.  Although this one could also fit into the TV category.  Is it a great movie?  The jury is out as it seems to be loved more by people who associate it with their childhood than if they watch it now for the first time.

7) Seasonal traditions.  Elf (4) and Bad Santa (5) are our usual Christmas eve movies to get us into the festive spirit.  Both Christmas classics if you're slightly weird.

8) You just have to show someone this cool movie and have to watch it with them.  Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure is just one example.  Also Dead Snow (4 - pretty good since the first time was only 2 years ago) and Battle Royale (5).

9) It is actually a favourite and you prioritise watching it regularly.  Clueless (7) and Terminator 2 (5) are on this list for me.

Tell me your most watched and more importantly, the reason why.

No comments:

Post a Comment