Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Thursday 2 February 2012

New 2 Feb - possible Oscar winner

We have four new movies out this week. 

The most curiousity arousing movie is 'The Artist', which is definitely looking like winning some Oscars after winning Best Picture at the Critics Choice Award and getting some wins for the Director and lead actor Jean Dujardin.  It's nominated for 10 Oscars.  The curious part arises because it is a (almost entirely) silent movie, filmed in black and white, and a tribute to the silent movie era.  It could also be the first romance drama to win Best Picture since Titanic back in 1997.

Our second movie is Chronicle, which has been getting some TV ads of late but otherwise flew under the radar for me.  Some teens come into supernatural powers and eventually start to use them for evil rather than good, with one particularly spinning out of control.  Some say it's bad, some say it's good but at least it's a different spin on the superpower movie.

Also out is Martha Marcy May Marlene which is a psychological drama about a young woman who has spent some time away from the real world on what might be described as a commune, now adjusting back to normal life.  This had good word of mouth at the Brisbane International Film Festival last year, based around a strong performance by Elizabeth Olsen (sister to the everywhere twins, Ashley and Mary Kate Olsen, but apparently with some talent).

Finally there is Man on a Ledge, starring Aussie Sam Worthington as a cop claiming he's been framed for a crime he didn't commit, standing on a ledge to draw attention away from something else (I'm guessing from the trailer anyway).  I think this probably does what it says on the packet but it's not sending my excitement metre into "go see it" territory.

Just a reminder too of the Drawn to Screen program at GOMA - Friday night has a great double with Hellboy (one of my favourite movies) and Tales from the Crypt, Saturday has Watchmen (one of the best superhero films of all time) and Oldboy (extremely violent) and Sunday arvo has the fabulous Flash Gordon from 1960.

No comments:

Post a Comment