Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Thursday 9 February 2012

This week's Movies 9 February

Well the big news this week is the re-release of Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace in 3D.  You can now relive the joy of the pod-race and disappointment of most of the rest of it in 3D.  This isn't the good kind of 3D though, it's been added in just recently and by the reports I've seen, it's pretty bad.  So the gimmick is not even worth it!  To anyone considering lining George Lucas' pockets even further (please don't) I extend this invitation: come over to my house and I'll chuck on the DVD and click on the 3D conversion button - it'll be just as good but not paying Georgie a cent!

The real new movies out this week are:

1) Any Questions for Ben?  The new modern rom-com from the wonderful Working Dog team who gave the world "The Dish" and "The Castle".  Starring Josh Lawson as a 27 year old trying to find some meaning after suffering a mini quarter life crisis.

2) Safe House.  Denzel Washington doing his nasty criminal thing again, set in South Africa, as a crook who is being prepped for investigation by the US when the "safe house" is stormed by masked criminals.  Ryan Reynolds is the CIA guy who spirits Denzel's character away and tries to keep him alive until the backup can arrive.

3) The Vow - a very wet looking rom-com as a wife wakes up after a car accident and doesn't recognise her husband anymore.  He has to win her over all over again.  Naaawwww, what a great Valentine's Day movie!

For those who are into short films, Flickerfest is on at the Powerhouse in Brisbane for the next 3 days until Sunday.

Total mixed bag at Drawn to Screen program at the Gallery of Modern Art this weekend.  Friday night - Swamp Thing (a Wes Craven movie) and Killer Condom, Saturday has V for Vendetta (great movie) followed by A History of Violence and then Ichi the Killer (by the king of weird and violent, Takashi Miike) and then Weird Science and Afro Samurai on Sunday afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. we are off to see it today, I let you know

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry thats star wars, lol

    ReplyDelete