Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Thursday 11 August 2011

Battle of the Second Tier Superheroes

Green Lantern hits cinemas today with a seriously underwhelming marketing campaign and trailer.  Will it have the "will" to win the competition of the second tier superheroes against Captain America?  I very much doubt it - does anyone need me to see this to tell them it will be pretty "meh"?  Although I have yet to catch up on the good Captain and see if he lives up to the far more interesting trailer.

Continuing the trend of opposite movie releases, Jane Eyre returns to our screens for like the 14th time (30 if you count the TV versions apparently).  Apparently Aussie actress Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Tim Burton's recent disappointing re-imagining) does a great job as the title character, so this could be one quality drama/Gothic chiller.

Senna is a new release documentary about the legendary Formula 1 driver who was tragically killed at age 34 in a race.  Taking a slightly different approach than the usual family/friend/celebrity interviews model, the early word is that this is quite good even if you aren't a revhead.

Yeah, OK, I will mention that Glee Live 3D is out this week too, but if you would go to this you already knew that right?

Hoyts have published coupons in the Courier Mail today for 2 tickets for $20 or 2 3D movies for $26 so snip these out if you're on a budget but need a night out.  Good until 14 September.

The DVD stores will get a shot in the arm this week from the release of Sucker Punch (I don't think anyone went to the cinema for it but should do well on DVD) but not much else going on.

Special screenings:
  • Tribal Cinema's schedule for the next week includes a screening of Cannibal Holocaust on Friday night, a brilliant double bill of Alien and Aliens on Saturday evening (dammit I already have plans that night), with Aliens and The Last Circus being the films showing all week until next Thursday.
  • GOMA Cinematheque has the Scorcese classic Taxi Driver next Wednesday 17th and Saturday 20th August.
  • Schonell Cinema has late runs of Mozart's Sister, The Tree of Life and The Trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment