Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Tuesday 2 August 2011

Nostalgia Part II

So I posted a few weeks back on the subject of nostalgia and getting the band back together.  Sorry to revisit this issue, but on Friday night I was reminded of just how powerful music is at putting you in a certain place and time.  I headed down the Coast to attend a gig at Shed 5, Arundel.  The lineup was 6 bands, of which 3 contained friends who had played in a previous band together.  And instantly it was like I was 19 again, that gigs were all that mattered in life, when friendships were intense because you didn't have mortgages, babies and responsiblities, and I was a total tomboy.  I had an absolutely smashing time and, I think, so did most of the rest of the people there that night.


Music is just the ultimate time machine.  It's like when you hear something you love, the time, place, smells and people around you are just imprinted on your brain.  It may lie dormant for periods of time, but when you hear that song you can just feel exactly where you were the first or last time you heard it. Whether good or bad too..... I'm not the only one who feels this way either, I'm almost borrowing a direct quote from the Sunday Mail columnist on the weekend who wrote about how seeing the ultimate 80s band took him and his wife back to the 80s.


The thing about Friday night wasn't just the quality of the bands playing or the fact that my friend's band did a great job after only 6 rehearsals after not playing together in 8 years.  And it wasn't even the catching up on old times with lots of old friends (which was awesome).  It was actually the realisation that two of the most important things in life are friendships and passion.  Standing in the crowd for 6 hours that night, purely as a lifelong punter who has never been in a band, it really struck me how much fun everyone on stage was having.  They were just totally enjoying playing on stage together with their friends (again after a long time for some) and just doing something they loved.  The amount of enjoyment I was getting out of their enjoyment was just massive.  I couldn't stop smiling.  Neither could they.


I am just so glad to have had/still have these people in my life.  But more importantly I think the friendships they've had has allowed them to get to this point, where they can take a break from the everyday and jump up on stage and rock out every now and then.  It's great to see people with a passion for their performance too, so many bands can get to a point where it's just boring and going through the motions.  The Stone Temple Pilots performance earlier this year did feel a little that way although the songs were good.  But that's getting sidetracked.


The main thing for me is to re-focus on friendships and passion.  Without those, life is just kinda grey I think.  There are times when I just want to give up on some people when they don't respond to things but the thing about true friendships is that you can go for a while without speaking or seeing each other but then when you do, it is all okay.  You just get along.  As for the passion, I'm pretty passionate about my work still, so that's good.  And music and movies.  That's probably enough for now.  I'm a big advocate for being passionate about what you do but I acknowledge other schools of thought where it doesn't matter as long as you don't hate getting up every day.  If you do, I suggest you get along to a gig which is going to transport you back to a happier time in your life.  To when you were young and drunk.  Or young and fun. Or a punk. Or old and drunk and fun.  Whatever, it doesn't matter, as long as you're smiling.  Thanks so much to my boys Brad, Paul, John, Brendan, Ben, Brendan (other one), Corey and their newish bandmates, for a great night and also my other friends who went along to the gig and made it so fun to hang out.  We may not do it often, but when we do, I have a hell of a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment