Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Thursday 14 July 2011

#13 Movie - Kung Fu Panda 2

What a shame this movie lost its subtitle somewhere along the release path - "the Kaboom of Doom".  Because it's a bit of a 'cracker'. For adults anyway.  And probably older kids.  I went with my brother and sister-in-law and my 3.5 year old nephew P and his 4 year old cousin C.  P found it a bit scary and sat on his dad's lap for most of the film and didn't laugh much.  C wasn't really scared but by half way he was a bit over it and asking when we were going home.  I think it was a little too slow and dark for really young kids.  But for adults, I think it was better than the first movie.
The first movie was bright, funny and all about finding your destiny.  The second movie is darker thanks to the introduction of the new villain Shen (possibly the ominous voicing by none other than Gary Oldman - villain extraordinaire), a peacock who was cast out of ancient China when he wanted to turn the wonderful invention of fireworks into a weapon (cannons).  Shen is a pretty scary character with his knives and metal claws.  His return to take Gongmen City and indeed the rest of China with his unstoppable weapon is a major problem for Po and the Furious Five who have been happily maintaining the peace.  The threat that this weapon could kill kung fu makes the team determined to stop Shen and his dastardly plan.
The storyline is well executed, the animation is sensational (particularly the hand-drawn scenes in flashbacks to ancient china) and there is a good mix of action and laughs.  The fight scenes are truly amazing and very imaginative.  And you finally find out how Po the panda's dad is a goose - something that was strangely not mentioned or covered off in the first outing.  The voice work is also really good from everyone (the supporting characters reveal some fun new cameos) and the friendship between Po and Tigress (Angeline Jolie) deepens and gives the Furious Five more personality.
I really enjoyed this movie, more than I thought I would.  Jack Black's promotional tour for the movie had me thinking this was going to be way over the top but it's actually really sweet and funny.  I give it a 3.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment