Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Thursday 7 July 2011

Dry July

Hey y'all it is July already.  Unbelievable!  I thought I'd be much more progressed on my target for this year by now than I am.  Of watching more movies than last year.  Somehow time and life have gotten in the way and I've only gotten along to see 10 or 11 movies not much more than my average.  I've even spent less time at the video store than usual so I don't have much to review there either.  (Incidentally what is the 20-teens term for a video store as they don't contain any videos - has that been settled yet?)  Nothing I've seen this year has totally blown me away, Super 8 was probably the best one I've seen so far.  Actually it's been a good year for films with a sci-fi slant as I've rated Never Let me Go, Source Code, Paul and Super 8 pretty high.  One of the reasons for this could be the unusually high quality of TV these days, particularly HBO's output.  Can't stop watching Sons of Anarchy, True Blood, Breaking Bad and Hawaii 5-0.  Keeping up or catching up with great TV is eating into movie watching time pretty badly!
But July is the month I'm hoping to catch up.  Being so cold and windy it's the perfect time for hanging indoors and snuggling up with a movie, or heading to the cinema. With it being "Dry July" many people are abstaining from alcohol for a month and finding other things to do than going out to get blotto.  Whether it is to improve their health, improve their bank balance, both or just taking a break from the usual.  If this is you, my tip is to go out and enjoy the school holiday flicks.  Hopefully I'll be able to get along to a few things to help you decide what to go and see.  This weekend I have Bridesmaids and Kung Fu Panda 2 on my list.  I also have some free tickets for Blame (Aussie movie) so that needs to be squeezed in as well.  And the final exciting instalment of Harry Potter is out next Wednesday too!
My recent poll said you wanted to see updates on what movies are out this week (it's so easy to miss movies with the rate of new releases all the time) and also more reviews on older movies and new stuff out on DVD.  So I went to give you the first weekly update and unfortunately there was almost no new films this week.  The schoold holiday movies from last week are so dominating that nobody was game to release anything else!  The arthouse leaning cinemas do have "Mozart's Sister" and "Special Treatment" (Frenchy stuff about a prostitute) and Palace Centro has an exclusive on "The Trip".  This is on my list as well, a bit of Brit weirdness.  It's a movie cut down from a UK TV show where Steve Coogan (brilliant comic known for "Alan Partridge" and "Saxondale") and Rob Brydon play versions of themselves going on a foodie trip to review restaurants for a newspaper.  Early reviews say it's quirky and full of witty banter and impressions of famous actors (they compete over their Michael Caine impersonations) but perhaps missing something due to being and edit down to 2 hours of a much longer series.  That's about it other than kid flicks and holiday blockbusters.  I can't help much with movies out on DVD this week either as I haven't seen many of them.  I caught Hall Pass earlier this year and it had some pretty funny moments.
So I'm on a mission in the next few weeks to up the movie quotient.  Hopefully I will make some progress, and good luck to all those on a mission for Dry July.

No comments:

Post a Comment