Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Sunday 24 July 2011

#16 Movie - Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2

The time has come for a large chapter in pop culture to come to a close. I watched The Deathly Hallows Part 1 again the night before I went to this (luckily, I'd forgotten a few key points) but it was only about 2 minutes before Part 2 started that I realised that this was it, the Harry Potter thing is going to end in about 2.5 hours.  As a person who read the books during the height of their popularity and enjoyed them - although not enough for a second reading yet - and has seen and bought all the films, it was a big moment.  If JK Rowling is sensible she won't try to revisit Harry Potter, as the books and movie series have ended things in a very satisfying way and she has probably made more money than she ever dreamed of or could possibly need.  Ride that wave girl!

I'm not going to summarise the plot as everyone should know it.  OK, brief summary: Harry, Hermione and Ron have three more horcruxes to find and destroy if they are to destroy He Who Should Not Be Named.  And even if they can do that, there is still a big showdown with Voldemort and his many followers to get through.  And Hogwarts had to be partially destroyed in the meantime.
If you found Part 1 boring, then Part 2 certainly will not disappoint.  All of the action is crammed into this one, interspersed with a few touching moments.  The action is pretty full on and as has been the case with each successive movie, less suitable for younger kids as it goes on.  As the final instalment, this one had some seriously grown up action and consequences.  At this late stage there are not many new characters, mainly drawing together all the favourites from the previous ones.  It really struck me in this one how much acting talent has been involved in this franchise and how amazing it is that they have been able to get the same actors (with the exception of Richard Harris who passed away after playing Dumbledore in the first 2 films) to reprise their roles so many times.  Really good quality stuff across the board.

I thought this was a brilliant ending to the series.  Yes, the finale has been changed from how it happens in the book.  If you are fanatical about the books this may annoy you, but to casual fans it is fine.  I found the ending to be really satisfying with my only small criticism being that they coud have outlined a bit more clearly how Harry is able to overcome Voldemort (the love he has had that Tom Riddle never did).  If you haven't read the books then this might not come across that obviously from the film.    I must admit I don't think the 3D added much to the experience, it was barely noticeable to my mind but on the other hand the sound was incredible.

Despite these minor issues, it's great fun, sad in the right ways, but ultimately just exactly what you wanted to see.  The big set pieces were so similar to what I'd imagined in my mind while reading the books.  I loved it, but it is sad to see the end as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment