Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Friday 9 September 2011

# 22 Movie - Horrible Bosses + Just Go With It Review

Next time you're in a stupid mood, go see Horrible Bosses.  It's stupid and funny.  Ben and I were already laughing about some very stupid things in the car on the way, which may or may not have made this movie seem better than it was.  I've seen some bad reviews and I've seen some good reviews, and in a lot of bits I was the only one laughing loudly, so maybe it depends on your mood or your taste in comedy.  But this is the funniest movie I've seen this year so far.  And raunchy, so don't take any young 'uns or close relatives or you may feel a tad uncomfortable.


Plot synopsis - there isn't much to talk about.  Nick (Jason Bateman), Kurt (Jason Sudeikis) and Dale (Charlie Day) all hate their bosses who each have their own unique nastiness.  Due to the global financial crisis (and being a registered sex offender in Dale's case), none of them can just leave and get another job like any sensible person would, but then there would be no movie.  Long story short they decide to bump off each other's bosses so there is no motive that can be traced back to them, with the help of their 'murder consultant' Motherf***er Jones (Jamie Foxx).  What ensues is just totally crazy, funny and unpredictable.


Kevin Spacey, Jennifer Aniston and an almost unrecognisable Colin Farrell are all great as the nasty or offensive bosses. The three leads are all really funny and get their share of highly quotable lines, and make a believable trio of average joe pals whose misery leads them to push the usual boundaries.  If you don't mind a bit of raunchy humour, this is well worth a look.  I wanna watch it again already and I only just got home.


While Jennifer Aniston certainly played against type to sex up Horrible Bosses, she did not stretch herself at all to play the part of Katherine in Just Go With It (recent DVD release).  That sounds like a criticism but actually watching this reminded me of how she was in Friends, she actually has great comedic flair and warmth.  She was the best thing about it, but Just Go With It actually wasn't a bad movie.  Better than I expected.


In this film Adam Sandler is a cosmetic surgeon who pretends to be married to pick up hot chicks.  The "wife" has cheated on him or beaten him which allegedly wins sympathy.  But the lame concept picks up when his latest target, Palmer (a Charlie Sheen ex, Brooklyn Decker) gets really upset that he's not told her about being married, so he has to invent the excuse that he's separating from his wife.  When she demands to meet her, he ropes in his assistant Katherine to play the part of his wife which produces some very funny results.  Until Katherine slips in her act and takes a phone call from her kids in front of Palmer.  The kids then get roped into the act as well with a large amount of bribery, that kickstarts further shenanigans when the whole "family" and Palmer go to Hawaii for a holiday.  Danny's old school friend Eddie gets in on the act by pretending to be Katherine's new partner and wangles his way into the trip much to Katherine's disgust.


So far so blah it seems.  But it's actually not that bad and there are some quite funny scenes - especially with the daughter played by Bailee Madison and her crazy accents, and Eddie and his ridiculous ad-libbing - and a nice romance develops.  Nicole Kidman's cameo as an old college chum of Katherine's who she secretly hates is pretty priceless.  You can call me dopey but the ending of this movie actually wasn't what I was expecting to happen and I didn't mind it at all.  The gorgeous Hawaiian scenery will definitely make you want to book a holiday there this summer, at least I did anyway.  But Jennifer Aniston's part kicked it up a notch for me, she seemed to have great chemistry with Adam Sandler, probably second only to his chemistry with Drew Barrymore.  An above average rom-com in my book, which given I generally dislike them means that if you like them it will probably be average.  If that makes sense.  Don't rush out but don't avoid it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment