Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Thursday 8 September 2011

The Sizzler of movie openings

This week's movie openings are a veritable Sizzler buffet.  The below is based on advance reviews and I have not actually seen the movies yet so don't hold me to it.  The Zookeeper and The Smurfs are like that pan bread stuff (thick and cheesy, bad for you, leave you feeling guilty), Submarine is the salad bar (light and full of healthy goodness but with some bacon bits to spice it up), 13 Assassins is the big ass T-bone steak (bloody, meaty and no healthy green stuff) and The Change-Up is the slider platters (cute [Ryan Reynolds & Jason Bateman] and crunchy).  All of last week's movies are the dessert bar (fluffy and sugary sweet).

I'm torn about which new movie to go see first - 13 Assassins is the new Takashi Miike (Audition, Ichi the Killer, Dead or Alive, Sukiyaki Western Django) so it'll be super violent even if he has reportedly toned down the weirdness to have a stab at serious samurai business.  Submarine is the debut film for director Richard Aoyade who plays Moss in the hilarious TV show The IT Crowd.  By all indications it's a delightful coming of age indie drama with a twist.  Stay tuned.

I also forgot to mention the movie out last week "Life in a Day" which is one for all you YouTubers.  It is a giant montage of people who filmed events in their life on 24 July last year and uploaded it to Youtube.  It has been edited into a reasonably short film showing snippets of life around the world on a particular day.  Could be an interesting slice of reality.

Also sorry for being a slack-ass and not giving any proper posts recently other than weekly opening updates.  I've been to see Win Win and Red Dog so I'll try to write those up soon.  I've also watched a bunch of DVD releases so there could be a few posts upcoming.

Tribal Theatre has Some Like it Hot all this week but no special screenings.  Regal Twin seems to have an exclusive on Face to Face which is an Aussie drama with Vince Colosimo based on a John Williamson play.

New DVDs out include Your Highness, Drive Angry (more Nic Cage madness no doubt in this straight to DVD release that skipped our cinemas) and Aussie flick Mad Bastards.

Enjoy your week!  Horrible Bosses review likely to be posted tomorrow evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment