Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Tuesday 27 September 2011

#24 Movie - Fright Night 3D

Here is a review of this movie from Ben - "This movie is frickin cool".  I'm not  really sure if I need to add anything more than that.  Here's what you already know: it's a remake of the 1980s movie which none of us quite remembers, it's a comedy/horror mix, it stars Colin Farrell as the guy who moves in next door who might be a vampire.  Here's what you don't know - it's actually really good and well worth seeing in 3D.  The special effects are of a pretty high quality and the 3D is used very well for vampire deaths.  I think it's the best use of 3D I've seen so far (surpassing the blood splatter on the glasses from the most recent Resident Evil) although it starts off a bit dodgy with things being thrown at you.  It's not hilarious, but I giggled at quite a few bits.  It also doesn't do that knowing, "wink wink" reference back to the original thing that some remakes try to do.  The action scenes are good and the girls are cute, but our main boy Charlie is a little bit wimpy but he comes through at the end.  This is offset well by Colin Farrell as Jerry, the potential vampire, doing a kinda weird line in sexy/funny/mysterious/menacing.  But it strangely works.  The best bit for me was David Tennant (Dr Who a few years back) as Peter Vincent, in this version a Las Vegas Illusionist with a strong interest in vampire lore.  How he is enlisted in Charlie and girlfriend Amy's battle against the vampire is funny and the stripping back of his persona to his real reason for collecting vampire artefacts is interesting.   He basically does a great Russell Brand impersonation, but it'd be interesting to know if Russell was offered the role or not.  Overall it's cool, fun and has great effects.  A good date movie.  If your date likes splurting blood that is.  The end credits are also cool as a recap of all the good gory moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment