Principles in the Mel-ocracy

Principles in the Mel-ocracy:

1. I don't download pirated movies/TV or copy movies for free.
2. I don't take my shoes off at the cinema and put my feet up on the seat in front - this is gross people! People's heads rest where your stinky feet have been!
3. I don't check my phone during the movie. Even if it's on silent you can still be annoyed by the glowing screen. You are not so important it can't wait 2 hours.
4. I usually stay to the end of the credits, just in case there is a bit at the end.
5. I do talk in films if necessary, but quietly.
6. I will annoy my companions by guessing the movie within 3 seconds of the preview starting, if possible.
7. If nobody else wants to go, I will go by myself rather than miss out.
8. I don't spoil endings or twists.


Tuesday 20 September 2011

Go the BIFF!

My favourite time of year is not too far off.  The Brisbane International Film Festival starts on 3 November and I'll be having some time off work so that I can go to anything I want.  Previous years of trying to squeeze in films in extended lunch breaks (All my Friends are Leaving Brisbane was a nice short one) or leaving early have given way to just taking a week off work.  No missing out.  The thing I love about the BIFF is just the sheer range of movies on offer, no matter what you see it is always interesting even if not always what you expect or even that good.  Many of the movies do eventually come to DVD in Australia but not for a long time, so it's worth getting hold of the program when it comes out.

The first release of info has come out this week. Opening night film will be "Attack the Block", a film which has a bunch of London teenagers defending their council estate from alien attack.  This is destined to be a cult classic by all reports and will be a fun opening night.  Closing night is "The Skin I live In", a new film from Spanish auteur Pedro Almodovar which is described as a macabre thriller.

Kings of Leon fans will be pleased to hear that there is a special screening of a documentary about the band, which includes archival concert footage as well as tracing the band's rise.  This is on Sunday evening, 6 November at 6:30pm.

I'll probably be doing a few updates about BIFF in the lead up (what films I want to see) and during BIFF, so I've got a poll here on the site to ask if you would prefer that I start up a separate blog on BIFF which you can subscribe to if interested, or if you don't care and are happy to mix it in with the normal stuff.  If you have a view, vote in the poll so I know what to do.  Majority rules!

The website if you want to get your info straight from the wonderful BIFF people is http://www.biff.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment